Senior RF Communications Engineer Job
Date: Oct 9, 2013
Location: Beltsville, MD, US
Job ID: CB20123009-25977
ATK Aerospace Systems leads the industry in solid rocket propulsion systems, satellite components and subsystems, lightweight space deployables and solar arrays. We are constantly pushing the boundaries of our nation's capabilities in space.
ATK located in Beltsville, MD is currently recruiting for a Senior RF Communications Engineer
Senior Radio Frequency (RF) / Communications (COMM) Engineer provides spacecraft RF/COMM system engineering, design, analysis, simulation, documentation, fabrication, testing, supplier oversight, and operational support.
- Analyses of:
- RF Link budget/margin between spacecraft and ground station to support proposals and trade studies.
- Day-in-the-life and multi-day scenarios of spacecraft RF/COMM systems under varying CONOPS.
- Requirements definition and flow down, interface definition and control, configuration management and risk mitigation. This includes single string and selective or fully redundant RF/COMM systems.
- Design and analysis of DC power requirements, grounding configurations, shielding, cabling/harness.
- Performance of trade studies and recommendations for transponders (i.e. STDN & SGLS), transmitters (i.e. L, S, C, X, Ku, K & Ka bands), diplexors, antennae (patch, Omni, horn, dish) and other space flight components commonly used on spacecraft in LEO, MEO, HEO, GEO, Earth-Sun L1, etc. orbits.
- Definition of electrical ground support equipment for the testing and integration of spacecraft RF/COMM systems. This includes spacecraft compatibility testing with SGLS or STDN compatibility vans provided by outside parties.
- Defining the requirements of the Ground Segment - which involves understanding government and commercial ground systems and capabilities.
- Technical subcontract management of key RF/COMM system component suppliers including
- Generation of Technical Specification (SPEC), Statement of Work (SOW) and Interface Control Document (ICD) documents
- Monitoring progress on subcontracts (attend Technical Interchange Meetings (TIM's), Engineering and Acceptance Tests, program reviews (i.e. PDR, CDR, MRR< TRR, PSR, EIDP review))
- Authoring test plans and procedures (or supporting others doing same) for verifying on-spacecraft operation of RF/COMM components and system during Integration and Test and during Launch and Early Orbit Operations. Occasional travel, as required, to customer, contractor, launch sites and control center locations for reviews, technical coordination, oversight, integration & test, training, launch and on-orbit operations.
- Analysis of on-orbit trending telemetry data.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical engineering or a related engineering discipline; Advanced degree desirable (MS, PhD, MBA).
- Minimum of 10 years directly relevant experience with BS degree or 7 years with an MS degree required for a level V.
- Minimum of 7 years directly relevant experience with BS degree or 5 years with an MS degree required for a level IV.
- Direct hands-on flight RF/COMM systems development experience required.
- Experience with specifying and integrating Spacecraft RF/COMM system components (i.e. transponders, diplexors, cabling, antennae) and RF Link Budget/Margin predictions required.
- Experience in maintaining disciplined schedules and budgets required.
- Design, analyses, simulation and testing of RF/COMM systems for space-ground links required.
- Experienced in coordinating/obtaining frequency allocation for a spacecraft required.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Ability to obtain and maintain Government issued Security Clearance is required, which usually requires US Citizenship as a pre-requisite.
- Active TS/SCI clearance or above is strongly preferred.
- Direct experience in on-orbit testing of satellite Telemetry, Tracking and Control (TT&C) and communications (COMM) subsystems is beneficial.
- Experienced in Proposal development (technical write-up, schedule creation and costing) is beneficial.
- Extensive technical and programmatic contacts within the Space RF/COMM supplier community is beneficial.
- Experienced in technical subcontract management preferred.
- Experience with USG DOD space-ground links (including AFSCN) and commercial applications (including VSAT) is beneficial.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Project is beneficial.
- Proficiency in Earned Value Management System (EVMS) is beneficial.
Competencies for Success:
- Well organized.
- Strong oral and written communications skills.
- Comfortable interacting with a wide variety of people at various levels within our company, our customer and our suppliers.
- Able to work well as part of a team.
- Independent, self managed and self starter.
B.S. - Electrical Engineering - EE - RF - radio frequency - aerospace - spacecraft - satellite - RF Comm - RF Communications - TS - Top Secret - clearance - RF Engineer - Electrical Engineer
ATK has the people, strategy, agility, and products to thrive in a highly dynamic national security and space environment. If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are committed to a diverse workforce.
Equal Opportunity Employer
ATK Category: : Engineering and Sciences
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Job Type: Full Time
Years of Experience: +10 Years
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
Job Segments: Communications, RF Engineer, Engineer, Electrical, Aerospace Engineering, Marketing, Engineering